Orthodontic appliances can be generally divided into:
- removable (can be removed from the mouth from the patient, e.g. plate)
- fixed (are attached to the teeth with dental adhesive and cannot be removed from the patient, e.g. typical 'braces')
Additional orthodontic devices and auxiliaries (extraoral appliances/headgear, interarch elastics, orthodontic mini-implants), are sometimes necessary to achieve the optimal orthodontic result.
When there is a high demand for aesthetic appliances , the following options can be considered:
- Acrylic or ceramic braces (''white'' braces)
- Lingual technique ( metal braces placed on the lingual surface of the teeth)
- Removable transparent aligners (invisalign, clear aligners)